Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Before and After Bedroom Update!

Today I entered a contest on Design Sponge (my favorite blog). They asked for people to submit pictures of a space they have transformed using primarily paint. Well, as it turns out, the small bedroom in my apartment was recently transformed! I figured I would post it on here. Levi's always reminding me to take before pictures, I just tear around this place with project after project and never document anything :)

Early this spring Levi and I decided to move our bedroom from the larger room in our apartment to the smaller one. The larger one would have more room for our outdoor and crafts/sewing gear, and the smaller one would stay warmer for sleeping in this leaky place with original 1920s windows right on Lake Washington! We removed some shelves which appeared to have been in place for a LONG time! The paint was a gross yellowish white and room is very small. Somehow the white walls and ceiling made it feel even smaller. After living with  it for awhile I finally took the plunge and we dedicated a Sunday to painting the walls dark grey, valspar in hematite. My headboard was a craiglist find that I painted with Miss Mustard seed's milk paint. I wasn't sure how the paint would take on this feaux wood headboard but it ended up with the perfect crackle finish. I was eying wall lamps but couldn't find just the right thing in my price range, so I was excited to find these wall lamps in the clearance section at Crate and Barrel. They were different colors, one was a nickel finish and the other an aged bronze. I spray painted them with a primer and then Krylon gold spray paint. I was scared I would ruin them with spray paint but the finish turned out wonderfully! The side tables are a thrift store find, marble with wood legs. I just love how the room turned out, it feels like a fancy hotel. 


Before, the lamps without their shades.

Awesome 70s headboard from craigslist. I rode a ferry to the Olympic Peninsula for this baby. I was post-call. I looked down at my shirt mid-ferry ride and it was inside out and backwards. Ahh... residency.

Levi makes me tape everything, I am usually just too lazy and paint without it!

More before


AFTER

Cute matching marble bedside tables found at Value Village!

I made this corkboard from an old frame i got at a yardsale. There is a matching one in the other room. You can really see how much higher the paint makes the ceiling look in this picture!
My favorite thing is walking up the stairs and peeping into the room to see the small painting of Machu Picchu we got in Peru. A special trip where we got engaged in Lima.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE what you did with that little room!Beautiful work.If this is a preview for the Paducah house...how exciting.
    P.S. Bill's comment,"poor Levi"

    ReplyDelete